Where Success Begins
The Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science (LKC FES) was established in 2004 at the then Kuala Lumpur campus in Setapak. It began by offering four Bachelor degree programmes in the areas of science and engineering.
Since then, the faculty has grown with the continuous introduction of new programmes at both undergraduate level and postgraduate level.
Today, the faculty offers 16 undergraduate Bachelor degree programmes in the areas of actuarial science and mathematics, information and communication technology, engineering, built environment and physical science. In addition, the faculty also offers a total of nine postgraduate programmes comprising eight Master programmes and two Doctor of Philosophy programmes.
In June 2015, the faculty relocated from the then Kuala Lumpur Campus in Setapak to the newly constructed building (Building KB) of the Sungai Long Campus. With the relocation, the faculty is now amalgamated with the Faculty of Creative Industries, Faculty of Accountancy and Management, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences, Institute of Chinese Studies and Centre for Foundation Studies in a single campus comprising two buildings.
Address: Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science (LKCFES), Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Sungai Long Campus, Jalan Sungai Long, Bandar Sungai Long, 43200 Kajang, Selangor. Tel: +603-90860288 ext. 784. Google Map.
Vision, Mission and Goals
To be a global university of educational excellence with transformative societal impact
We are committed to achieving the Vision through:
- Universal values in our beliefs
- Tenacity in overcoming challenges
- Agility in facing new frontiers
- Responsibility in pursuit of excellence
In carrying out its mission, UTAR is committed to:
- Engage in research, scholarship, teaching and practice at the highest international standards and the value of society, which will enable the greatest number and widest variety of people to develop the capability to shape their future and to contribute to the development of their organizations and communities.
- Ensure that UTAR’s Vision and Mission are supported by effective administrative and management structures, policies, practices and systems and that UTAR is managed in a professional and client – focused manner.
- Provide a supportive and challenging environment for faculty and students to realize their full potential and develop the skills and flexibility needed in a rapidly changing world.
- Maintain a strong undergraduate programme, which encourages the intellectual and personal development of students and responses to professional and community needs.
- Conduct major research programmes, which broaden the horizons of knowledge and seek answers to problems of importance.
- Maintain a strong graduate programme, which encourages intellectual, research and personal development of the students.
- Expand the expertise, services and resources offered by UTAR through the development of cooperative educational programmes with other institutions and professions and other local, state, federal, and international agencies.
- Encourage commitment to lifelong learning.
Offer learning experiences that instill in students a consciousness of their role in a rapidly changing and technological oriented world with a strong sense of professional and social responsibility.
- Inculcate among the faculty and the academic community a culture of commitment to effective dissemination of knowledge and vigorous scholastic research activities with publications of high international standard.
- Promote the use of ICT and IT-intensive learning through innovative courses and learning support systems.
PILLARS OF EDUCATION
- Virtue and Morality
- Knowledge and Intellect
- Physical and Mental Health
- Sociality and Humanitarianism
- Aesthetics and Harmony
- Creativity and Innovation
The Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science was conceived to support and undertake the vision of UTAR to be a global university of educational excellence with transformative societal impact.
The faculty was established in 2004 beginning with 3 programmes in Bachelor of Science (Hons) and 1 programme in Bachelor of Engineering (Hons). Since then, the faculty has grown continuously with the expansion of programmes from 4 to more than 24 today. Currently, the faculty offers 7 programmes in Bachelor Degree of Science (Hons), 9 programmes in Bachelor of Engineering (Hons), and post-graduate programmes by research in Master of Science, Master of Engineering Science, Doctor of Philosophy by research in Science and in Engineering, and in taught course masters programmes in Project Management, Mathematical Science, Information Systems, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Architecture.
The presence of engineering and science programmes in the campus has placed the faculty in an unique position in the Malaysia higher education where the cross discipline of intellectual exchange between engineering and science is nothing more encouraging and flexible than ever. This paves the foundation of the faculty in fostering the interdisciplinary R&D which we strongly believe it shall be the key of success to achieve academic excellence and subsequently for UTAR to realise its aspiration to become a premier university.
The strategic location in Bandar Sungai Long, near Kuala Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia, has created a conducive environment to the faculty for better accessibility not only with the local industry and local academic institutions but also enabling us to gain international exposure by having industrial placement, research collaborations, international conference participations and intellectual exchange on areas of specialisation. This will level up the standard of academic quality and also promote internationalisation for UTAR to be globally recognised.
With Best Regards,
Ir. Prof. Dr. Goi Bok Min
Dean of Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science
UTAR continually seeks for accreditation and recognition for its programmes from professional bodies where relevant to the respective fields of studies. Accreditation or recognition by professional bodies provides UTAR and its programmes with international reputation. In addition, it demonstrates that UTAR’s programmes are benchmarked and are equivalent to global standards. To date, UTAR has gained recognition from numerous leading professional bodies such as Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM), Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), etc.
Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science (LKC FES)
- Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
- Board of Quantity Surveyors Malaysia (BQSM)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- The Chartered Institute of Building(CIOB)
- Society of Actuaries (SOA)
- Board of Architects Malaysia