Where Success Begins
The Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering & Science (LKC FES) from Sungai Long Campus, Selangor is one of the foundational faculty of UTAR. The faculty was established with the support of industry and Lee Foundation founded by the late Tan Sri Dato’ Lee Kong Chian, a rubber tycoon and banking giant who was top ten Chinese wealthy businessmen in the world. The faculty was named after Lee Kong Chian.
As one of the largest faculty at UTAR, LKC FES offers 28 programmes across industries, including 16 bachelor’s degree programmes, and 13 master’s and doctoral degree programmes. The engineering programmes include civil engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, mechatronics engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, materials engineering and telecommunication engineering; the science programmes include quantity surveying, software engineering, actuarial science, architecture, financial mathematics, applied mathematics with computing, and physics. The master’s programmes include engineering science, science, mathematics, architecture, project management, engineering (electrical, mechanical, civil), information systems, data management and analytics; and the doctoral programmes include philosophy (science) and philosophy (engineering).
The faculty consists of 250 academic staff and 11 research centres. It focuses on scientific research and engineering practice and undertakes a number of key projects of the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE), Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), Sustainable Energy Development Authority (SEDA) Malaysia, Petroliam Nasional Berhad, as well as business focus projects and international research projects.
Address: Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science (LKCFES), Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Sungai Long Campus, Jalan Sungai Long, Bandar Sungai Long, 43000 Kajang, Selangor. Tel: +603-90860288 ext. 784. Google Map.
Vision, Mission and Goals
To be a global university of educational excellence with transformative societal impact
We are committed to achieving the Vision through:
- Universal values in our beliefs
- Tenacity in overcoming challenges
- Agility in facing new frontiers
- Responsibility in pursuit of excellence
In carrying out its mission, UTAR is committed to:
- Engage in research, scholarship, teaching and practice at the highest international standards and the value of society, which will enable the greatest number and widest variety of people to develop the capability to shape their future and to contribute to the development of their organizations and communities.
- Ensure that UTAR’s Vision and Mission are supported by effective administrative and management structures, policies, practices and systems and that UTAR is managed in a professional and client – focused manner.
- Provide a supportive and challenging environment for faculty and students to realize their full potential and develop the skills and flexibility needed in a rapidly changing world.
- Maintain a strong undergraduate programme, which encourages the intellectual and personal development of students and responses to professional and community needs.
- Conduct major research programmes, which broaden the horizons of knowledge and seek answers to problems of importance.
- Maintain a strong graduate programme, which encourages intellectual, research and personal development of the students.
- Expand the expertise, services and resources offered by UTAR through the development of cooperative educational programmes with other institutions and professions and other local, state, federal, and international agencies.
- Encourage commitment to lifelong learning.
Offer learning experiences that instill in students a consciousness of their role in a rapidly changing and technological oriented world with a strong sense of professional and social responsibility.
- Inculcate among the faculty and the academic community a culture of commitment to effective dissemination of knowledge and vigorous scholastic research activities with publications of high international standard.
- Promote the use of ICT and IT-intensive learning through innovative courses and learning support systems.
PILLARS OF EDUCATION
- Virtue and Morality
- Knowledge and Intellect
- Physical and Mental Health
- Sociality and Humanitarianism
- Aesthetics and Harmony
- Creativity and Innovation
UTAR continually seeks for accreditation and recognition for its programmes from professional bodies where relevant to the respective fields of studies. Accreditation or recognition by professional bodies provides UTAR and its programmes with international reputation. In addition, it demonstrates that UTAR’s programmes are benchmarked and are equivalent to global standards. To date, UTAR has gained recognition from numerous leading professional bodies such as Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM), Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), etc.
Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science (LKC FES)
- Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
- Board of Quantity Surveyors Malaysia (BQSM)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- The Chartered Institute of Building(CIOB)
- Society of Actuaries (SOA)
- Board of Architects Malaysia